It is common to relate excessive weight as an indicator of high cholesterol but it is one of the numerous symptoms of high cholesterol in the body. You might think that as long as you are not fat, you can’t have elevated cholesterol levels. However, there are some warning signs that might manifest in various parts of your body. You should be aware and not ignore these signs as they might be indicative of high cholesterol which you need to pay urgent attention to. These signs include;
- Change in skin color: high cholesterol can cause a change in the color of your skin. This is because your skin cells are not getting the required nourishment due to a decreased flow of blood carrying oxygen and nutrients. Hence, the skin looks pale or discolored.
- Leg cramps at night: Intense leg cramps when sleeping is another warning sign of high cholesterol levels in your body. Leg pain is a common symptom of a condition called peripheral artery disease (PAD). This occurs when the arteries of your legs are blocked, the needed amount of blood rich in oxygen cannot get to the lower parts. Leg pain can also be accompanied with muscle pain during exercise or any physical activity. The pain often occurs in muscles where the arteries are affected by fat buildup and cholesterol.
- Arcus senilis: This is a gray or white arc that is visible and is located above and below the outer part of the cornea. This condition is very common in older adults. However, when it occurs in people under the age of 40, it is highly indicative of a high cholesterol condition.
- Xanthelasma: Do you notice yellow patches on the inside of the side of your eyes? This is xanthelasma and is usually not painful but could mean something serious. The yellow patches comprises of cholesterol that is under your skin. This is one of the very visible symptoms of high cholesterol level in the body. You should take note of this because this also an indicator of cardiovascular diseases.
- Weak or hard to detect pulse: peripheral artery disease (PAD) which occurs when there is a buildup of plaque in the arteries of your leg can cause your pulse to be weak or missing. This is common especially with pulses of the feet.
- Leg sores: when there is a lack of blood flow to your legs and feet, there is a risk of developing sores called arterial ulcers which is a dangerous sign of elevated cholesterol level. These ulcers can happen on the legs, feet, toes or ankles. Poor flow of blood can destroy cells, tissues and nerves which can lead to ulcers to form on the skin. These wounds can be slow and take some time to heal if not detected and treated immediately.
HOW WILL YOU KNOW FOR SURE WHEN YOU HAVE HIGH CHOLESTEROL?
Apart from the warning signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in the body that gives you a clue on the need to check, the only way to diagnose high cholesterol is to request for a simple blood test from your healthcare practitioner.
TIPS TO HELP LOWER HIGH CHOLESTEROL LEVELS
Monitor what you eat:
This includes eating fibre-rich foods such as beans and legumes, fruits and vegetables as well as unsaturated fats like avocados and oils made from vegetables. You should limit your intake of pastries, margarine, red meat, full-fat diary and fried foods. This also includes reduction on the intake of alcohol.
Take a cholesterol-lowering supplement renowned for amazing results and natural constituents:
Start a 3-way functioning natural supplement that helps you maintain cholesterol levels, prevent cardiovascular diseases and provide nutritional support for healthy triglyceride levels. These are the fantastic benefits seen with taking Nature’s Field Choles Defence. This support from Choles Defence also helps you avoid other medical conditions such as hypertension which can result from high cholesterol in the body.
Exercise as much as you can:
Did you know that half an hour of physical activity 5 days a week can lower your bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase your good cholesterol (HDL)? This accompanied with reduced stress levels works wonders on lowering your cholesterol level. Being active helps you maintain your body weight and thus reduces the risk of developing clogged arteries.
The truth of the matter is that cholesterol affects every organ and biological process in your body. Hence, it is needed by all but the goal is to reduce the bad and increase the good cholesterol. High cholesterol comes without warning and is a risk factor for several health conditions. Therefore, there are a lot of ways to reduce it which includes taking Nature’s Field Choles Defence.
Finally, monitor and celebrate your progress. Remember you are in charge of your health and can turn your cholesterol around.